Thursday, October 29, 2009

Shuffleboard 6

1. "Hanani" by The O.C. Supertones from Chase The Sun
Chase The Sun was one of my least favorite Supertones albums. After Supertones Strike Back, nothing could really compare. Hi-Fi Revival was my next favorite, and then they disbanded. Sad.
Anyways, it's still entertaining ska/rock.
This track's got a good beat, good use of horns, and nominal spiritual lyrics. Sounds exactly like most Supertones songs, nothing really that interesting. Still head-boppin' ska.




2. "Stockholm Syndrome" by Muse from Absolution
Oh man. Where do I even begin with this song? Every Muse album has shown us a new side of them, and Absolution was my first real sit-down-seriously-listen experience with them.
Stockholm Syndrome is definitely in their top Ten songs of all-time. Blistering intro guitar and drums (with scarily accurate and steady bass work from Wolstenholme). The steady eighth-note riffs continue over conspiracy-theory laden lyrics from Bellamy. Then comes the chorus. The synths come in with a brooding pound, which then gives way to a eerie arpeggiated guitar riff and nice piano backgrounds, with the drums cutting down to heavy quarter notes.
And all the while, the bass keeps playing steady quarters.
Then, back into a crazy-fast build up, and into verse two (if you couldn't tell, this is one of my favorites).
Bellamy seems especially angry on this song, and the heavy steady bass and drums (and guitar, sorta) really emphasizes that fury, making this a great driving-fast song.
The lyrics also stand out as some of Muse's most memorable.
This is the last time I'll abandon you
and this is the last time I'll forget you
I wish I could
The song ends with a head-banging guitar and bass in unison outro. One of their best, hands down.



3. "Please Don't Talk About Murder While I'm Eating" by Ben Harper from Both Sides of the Gun
Weird title, epic artist. Ben Harper impresses me time and time again how many genres he can slide to. Heavy rock, country, blues, jazz, acoustic, reggae, the guy can do it all.
This is a short rock/country/blues track, with some bluesy lyrics. Harper owns on a hot blues solo in the middle. The lyrics talk about a self-obsessed snob who tries to push views on others (I think) that Harper tells to just chill the heck out.
Something you'd expect to hear while eating barbecue outside. Great track.




4. "Anakin's Betrayal" by John Williams from Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
I think it's statistically impossible for me to play five songs without John Williams being in there.
And I'm okay with that.
This is the haunting music that accompanies The Purge, an event that Star Wars fans knew existed but had not seen until Episode III. The Jedi were wiped out by the Emperor, and that's what brought about the war seen in the last three movies.
This is some of the saddest music Williams has written, save for most of the Schindler's List score. It really highlights the hopelessness of The Purge, and without it, the scene would have been a few explosions.
The end of this track (and scene) always gives me chills. The newly-christened Darth Vader walks into a room in the Jedi Temple full of kids, where they ask him "Master Skywalker! What are we going to do?"
He replies by igniting his lightsaber.
One of the saddest scenes in the movie, made so by excellent music.




5. "Sparks" by Coldplay from Parachutes
I bought Parachutes, my first Coldplay album, when I was home in Minnesota for Christmas break back in 2007. I've been a Coldplay fan ever since.
This is one of the first Coldplay songs I learned on guitar, too.
A nice mellow track, just acoustic guitar, smooth bass, light drums, and a few electric guitar and piano bits thrown in for good measure, as accents more than anything.
The lyrics are quite romantic, if somewhat confusing at times (it is Coldplay). I like this style of Coldplay, but I also like their newer weirder stuff too. Sparks is one of my favorite older songs, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment