Friday, January 8, 2010

My Desk


Over at the awesome lifehacker blog, they've been featuring workspaces. Usually they're awesome, and usually work is done on them. As I am still unemployed, I have a desk where stuff sits that I would usually use to work, but for now just sits.
Anyways, here's a photo and explanation of the random crap which adorns my desk.

Starting on the left, THE SUNFLOWER PENCIL IS NOT MINE. It is my wife's. We simply consolidated writing utensils into one cup. It's not mine. I swear.
The Pile of Papers is receipts, directions to our new humidifier (yay for ill-sealed apartments), two candles (I don't know what for), and a Windows XP installation disk. Which I should use. I'm going to try to redo our media computer by erasing the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

Further to the left sits one of my proudest lego creations. That, ladies and gentlemen, is my lego iPhone dock. And yes, I know it's awesome. Moving on.

Behind it, with the glowing green circle, is my external drive. It holds backups of my music, documents, pictures, and random crap I got from my friend Jeremy a few years ago.
The only thing is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get iTunes to re-acquire the paths to the music on there every time I disconnect the drive. Anyone know how?

On top of the drive is a cool Jayhawk statue my dad gave me. He had it when he was a kid.

And center stage is my lappy. It was actually Amanda's old computer, but she had to buy a fancy-dancy tablet computer for med school, so I got the sweetest hand-me-down ever. It's a great computer. HP Pavilion dv6000, great battery life, video card's surprisingly fast for a laptop, and it has a cool swirly black lid. The headphones in front are my "Amanda is sleeping" or "Amanda is studying" headphones. She's currently studying, and I'm currently listening to the Complete Recordings of The Lord Of The Rings. It's about 35 full tracks of music from each movie. Aww yeah. Behind the lappy is a powered USB port I have my iPhone cable, external drive, and mouse plugged into. It's easier to just unplug the power and hub when I move my computer. The mouse is a Logitech laser mouse, and the exact number of it escapes me. Anyways, it's awesome. And the desk surface is wonky on the laser, so that's the KU Commencement book as my mousepad.

Above the ghettomousepad is a pile of books. The cup is from Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia, Missouri. The best pizza ever.
We'll go top to bottom.
-The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney was given to us by our new pastor when we became members at Redeemer.
-Praise Habit by David Crowder. I bought this one a while ago, as Crowder is one of my favorite bands, but I have yet to get all the way through it.
-A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. Got this at the library, and whoa. Never EVER do drugs. Ever. The movie was great, the book will scare your pants off.
-Patriot Games by Tom Clancy. I've got a buttload of Clancy, and I love the movie version of this one. Found it for a quarter at a thrift shop in Minnesota.
-Sheet Music by Kevin Leman. Sex book from my old pastor in Minnesota. As awkward as that sounds.
-The Slumber of Christianity by Ted Dekker. I've read pretty much every single one of Dekker's books, but never this, his only non-fiction. I've read the first chapter, and promises to be a good read.

Next to the pile o' books are my faithful 3M companions, the Post-It dispenser and the Scotch Tape dispenser. I use miles of both each year, but will not be running out anytime soon. Family times in the office supply business pays off (thanks Dad!).

To the far right, you may be able to see my old Olympus point-and-shoot film camera. It's in a little black case, so it's hard to see. My parents gave that to me more than ten years ago, and it's still got a roll of film in it. I have no idea what's on it. That'll be a blog post for later.

The big brownish-gold box below the book pile was what a cool wallet/notebook/stealth pen that I got for Christmas from my in-laws came in. Right now it has a few charging cords and my Bluetooth headset. It's going to be my gadget box.

Lastly comes a bunch of random crap. There's my Maglite that I've had forever, my little pouch I carry headphones in on trips, a coaster for drinks (a book pile works too) chapstick, an old iPod cover, and 3M Command Adhesive poster strips. I have no idea why any of that happens to be on my desk at this moment.


1 comment:

  1. Glad I could contribute some things to your desk clutter (as well as the desk itself!)

    ReplyDelete