Sunday, February 14, 2010

Music Out Of NOWHERE

After living here in Kansas City for almost ten months now, my taste in music has widened considerably, due in part to the library and to the radio. Yes, I know, that's SOOOO 1990.
The public library system in Johnson County has a buttload of music. I have been going through their collection and finding new and wonderful things, some of which I didn't even know I would like.
I listen to 96.5 ("The Alternative, 96.5, The Buuuuuzzzz....") here in KC, which plays alternative rock, as well as some weirder stuff. I've gotten hooked on three or four bands because of this station. If you're in the KC area, though, don't listen from 12-3pm or so. The DJ that runs that slot is a nutjob.
Here's two albums and artists that I've discovered recently. I'll post some more now and then.

1. The Republic Tigers, "Keep Color"
I have a few sources to thank for this one. Amanda and I watch NBC's "Chuck" every week, and while I was waiting to get married this summer, I noticed a Republic Tigers song ("Buildings and Mountains") in an episode, and recognized it as something I had heard on 96.5 a few times. I found the album and was hooked.
The Republic Tigers are out of KCMO, which makes it even cooler. They are an indie-style band with non-indie lyrics. Sure they're ambiguous and odd lyrics, but decidedly on the happy side. The music is diverse and is easily repeatable live. They even have a song about playing air guitar.
Here's a live vid. Pretty awesome.

2. Jon Foreman, "Spring and Summer"
I found Switchfoot's frontman's album at the library completely by accident. His two-disc "Spring and Summer" is outstanding stuff.
I've had a love-hate relationship with Switchfoot. I hated Foreman's voice when I heard one or two songs on the radio back in 2001. Once I got a few albums, I appreciated his voice and song-writing styles even more.
His solo work really allows his writing to shine. It's a lot more pared-back than Switchfoot's surf rock. It's more indie-tinged, with a few songs featuring just Foreman and a guitar (and sometimes a very well-placed cello).
Foreman and Relient K's Matt Thiessen are two of the music industry's most creative and underrated songwriters.
And best yet, Foreman's solo work retains Switchfoot's sunny feel. I'm listening to a few songs right now while it's 20 out, and my mind is drifting back to Southern California...ahhh.
Here's one of the best of the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment