Monday, February 1, 2010

Shuffleboard 7

It's been awhile since I've subjugated the Internet to my weird music preferences. Shall we?

1. "Den of Vice" by Atticus Ross from The Book of Eli
I haven't seen The Book of Eli yet, but it's high on my list of movies-to-see. I picked up this soundtrack because I read that Atticus Ross worked with Nine Inch Nails on some of their instrumental stuff, which is some of the most unique and enjoyable weird stuff out there.
As for this specific track, it's ambient, it's eerie, it's odd, and it makes me want to see the movie all the more. Ross' whole score is ambient, save for a few action cues, and that really illustrates the bleak post-apocalyptic world portrayed in The Book of Eli.

2. "Disconnected" by RJD2 from Magnificent City Instrumentals
Oh man, how did I not discover RJD2 sooner?! I'm getting more and more into weird stuff, and RJ's odd blend of electronica, Moby-style samplings and grooving R&B/Hip-Hop beats is up there with some of my new favorites.
This track sounds like it belongs in one of the Ocean's movies. Hot horns, a little rock organ, and a few drum tracks. It's stylish, makes you bob your head a little, and if you listen to it while walking down the street, you automatically feel cooler.
As for the video, just listen. Don't watch. It's a ninja dancing. It's weird.

3. "Fall: Marion Barfs" by Clint Mansell from Requiem for a Dream
From one of the all-time most depressing movies (seen it once, will never see it again) comes one of the most overused pieces of music ever. Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" theme has been used/remixed into more movie trailers than explosions or cheesy 70s love songs.
This track is from halfway through the film, when stuff starts to head downhill. The three main character's plan of getting rich by being drug dealers is backfiring as they become more and more addicted.
The score for the whole film is somewhat repetitive, but effective. It's depressing and really accentuates the feelings of absolute despair onscreen.
As the scene is pretty intense and disorienting(and isn't embeddable), you can view it here.

4. "Volare" by Dean Martin from The Capitol Years
I got a whole bunch of Dean Martin, Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra for our wedding reception. The library is wonderful for free music!
Dean Martin isn't my favorite, but it's nice every once in a while. This song has an English section and an Italian section, so you know it's sophisticated.
Fun Note: Volare is Italian for "to fly."

5. "The Slug Party" by Nicholas Hooper from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
When I started watching the Harry Potter films last year, I was sad to discover that John Williams had only scored the first three. The score for the forth was boring, but then I found the fifth and sixth, both done by Nicholas Hooper. He really "grew up" the score, which is appropriate, as the movies definitely grew up.
This track accompanies the great scene where Harry and Hermione are invited to a horribly stuffy party by their weird professor. The track is uncharacteristically upbeat for the rest of the score, but portrays the ridiculous party well. A jazzy beat (with bongos!) and bass line back up an awkward string melody. This is how the attendees saw the party, no doubt.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your music selection from reading your previous shuffleboards, but this one especially. Total agree with you on Atticus Ross. I have Nine Inch Nails' Instrumental album, and it's easily one of the best experiences to listen to from start to finish. Same with Requiem. I saw it once, and it was heavy. The soundtrack, though it is only one bit of music reworked the whole way through, pretty much nailed the coffin shut on my hopes and dreams along with those of the characters. I probably won't see it again either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get the Ghosts NIN album they were offering for free a while back?

    ReplyDelete